Faculty (Adjunct , Solar Energy and Environmental Physics )
- MSc student, Saar Modai
Past graduate students *
Past undergraduate students ** Past students / postdocs data might be incomplete
Nonlinear Dynamics and Biological Applications
Biological systems show a plethora of fascinating self-organized behaviors that range from organ to cellular levels, such as spiral waves, pulses, synchronization, and steady states that are periodic in space. These non-equilibrium phenomena emerge through either spontaneous or forced symmetry breaking mechanisms. Employing nonlinear dynamics methods, we attempt to understand specific cases (localized waves in the inner ear) as well as gain general insights into the emergence of traveling waves with motivation taken from molecular motors, actin polymerization and cardiac system.
Soft Matter Physics and Renewable Energy
Most renewable energy devices exploit nano-scale morphologies that are paramount to large surface area, required to increase activity. However, electrical effects are often strong enough to influence the structure of active layers of those materials leading to a notorious decrease in performance. To date, theoretical studies have dealt almost exclusively with uncoupled models of self-assembly and electrokinetics. We develop novel and computationally amenable mean-field frameworks that do unify them. Our expectations are to advance devices, such as batteries, supercapacitors, and solar cells.
- Tsyganok, A. and Monroy-Castillero, P. and Piekner, Y. and Yochelis, A. and Rothschild, A., "Parallel Water Photo-Oxidation Reaction Pathways In Hematite Photoanodes: Implications For Solar Fuel Production", Energy Environ. Sci. 15, 2445-2459 (2022)
- Yochelis, A. and Flemming, S. and Beta, C., "Versatile Patterns In The Actin Cortex Of Motile Cells: Self-Organized Pulses Can Coexist With Macropinocytic Ring-Shaped Waves", Phys. Rev. Lett. 129, 088101 (2022)
- Yochelis, A., "The Nonlinear Initiation Of Side-Branching By Activator-Inhibitor-Substrate (Turing) Morphogenesis", Chaos 31, 051102 (2021)
- Shapira, A.Z. and Gavish, N. and Uecker, H. and Yochelis, A., "Bending And Pinching Of Three-Phase Stripes: From Secondary Instabilities To Morphological Deformations In Organic Photovoltaics", Phys. Rev. E 102, 062213 (2020)
- Yochelis, A. and Beta, C. and Gov, N.S., "Excitable Solitons: Annihilation, Crossover, And Nucleation Of Pulses In Mass-Conserving Activator-Inhibitor Media", Phys. Rev. E 101, 022213 (2020)
- Gavish, Nir And Elad, Doron And Yochelis, Arik, "From Solvent-Free To Dilute Electrolytes: Essential Components For A Continuum Theory", Journal Of Physical Chemistry Letters 9, 36-42 (2018)
- Bernitt, E. and Döbereiner, H. and Gov, N.S. and Yochelis, A., "Fronts And Waves Of Actin Polymerization In A Bistability-Based Mechanism Of Circular Dorsal Ruffles", Nat Comms 8, 15863 (2017)