- Anatomy of the website
- Personal information update
- Seminars and special events announcement
- Research highlights
ImportantIn order to perform any action (add / modify), you need to be logged-in into the website using your BGU credentials. Some content is hidden from nonauthorized users. To login, click on the login link concealed on the bottom of the page, to the left of BGU address. Or use the following link https://physics.bgu.ac.il/accounts/login/
Anatomy of the website
Most pages include three menu bars, listed from top to bottom:
- User menu
- Grey user menu includes, logout and profile buttons, as also all the action buttons that you are authorized to access. You must be logged in to see this menu. It also has a link to this help, and a button for bug reports.
- Quicklinks menu
- The blue menu bar which contains the most frequently used links, such as
- Navigation menu
- A white menu, with orange underline. This is a population based menu, which sorts the most important links per population: faculty, students, visitors.
- Sidebar menu
- This menu is only seen on smaller screens, and after pressing the hamburger button.
Personal information update
In order to update personal information you need to login and press on your profile button on the right of the LOGOUT button in the user menu. This will bring you to your profile, the way logged-in people see it. Some information is hidden for not authorized users, such as
Alumni and your
Cellphone. You can check-this out by logging-out. To edit the profile click the button next to your name.
- Profile picture
- The purpose of the profile picture is similar to a passport photo, therefore it have to be of the same format. Photos which will not follow this guidelines will be removed without warning.
- Full name
- Is determined automatically from BGU database, so cannot be changed. Contact the website admin, if correction is necessary.
- Email name
- Email is determined automatically, upon profile creating, however please make sure it is correct.
- Phone numbers
- You cannot edit your phone numbers, since they are determined automatically from your office number
- Currently only head of the Lab and Space committee is allowed to change the rooms of people
- Only showed to logged-in users, but you can erase it, it you don't like it
- Research group
- Currently only chairperson decides on the association with a research group. The only implication it has in the website is on the appearance or not of the person in the research group page.
- Research description
- Is meant to be a text only summary of your research. The use of HTML tags, is not allowed to enforce standard style of profile pages. You can however user line breaks, if needed.
- Researcher ID
- You can add your researcher ID, by clicking the add button. If you don't have a Researcher ID, you can create one. Instructions on how to create ORCID.
- You can add your publications here. A number of publications where preloaded for your convenience from ISI Web of knowledge. Important: Only publications from BGU where loaded, and it is was done automatically, so please check for errors. To remove a publication from the list press on the small "x" in the beginning of its name. To remove all publications click on the "x" which appears on the right-top corner of the list. Click
Saveto save the profile. To add a publication, start by searching it in the preloaded database (type a part of your family name). If the publication is not there you can click the icon next to the publication list, to add a publication to the database. This is easily done, by either using the DOI or the arXiv ID of the publication. Students will also be able to add their theses and proposals using the same interface.
Seminars and special events announcement
The new announcement application works in a tight integration with Google calendar, such that there is no need to login into the Google calendar to edit events. All events are edited on our website. It delivers:
- Support of event editing, and eliminates duplicates
- Support of UTF-8 characters
- Support of event cancellation
- Option to email the announcement to the mailing list
- PDF poster generation
- Special events and workshops are treated on the same footing as the seminar. Namely they appear in the event list, and announced in the same way.
The list of events can be accessed from the user menu, using the link
EVENTS, or from the quicklinks menu in
Events/All. From this list, the events are modified and added. Only senior academic staff can add and modify events.
- To edit an event, go to the list of events and click on icon next to the event.
- To add an event, you can either use the relevant button in the user menu, or to click on of the buttons on the top of the list of events.
- To print a poster go to the list of events and click on the PDF, icon.
- To post the announcement to the mailing list, you can either check the
send emailcheckbox in the seminar/event creation form, or for existing events go to the list of events and click on the envelope, icon next to the event of interest. You will be taken to a confirmation page. Events can be only posted to the mailing list 10 days before the event
- Events can be modified and cancelled, but not deleted
- For candidates in the event announcement form, choose
Dr. (candidate)in the person title.
The following links are obsolete and are disabled to avoid duplication of entries:
The website allows for an easy creation and editing of simple HTML pages. You don't need to know HTML for this, since everything is done in Markdown, which is a simple text based format.
Create a page
To add you can either use the relevant PAGE button in the user menu, or to click on of the button on the top of the list of pages. You now need to choose the relevant category of the page and the page title. **Since both category and page title are used to create the link to your page, they must be unique and be in English.
To add content you can add HTML to Markdown, with the only restriction that Markdown should not appear inside HTML tags, such as
<div></div>. The editor also supports: simple tables, abbreviations, table of contents and even LaTeX equations. Press the PAGE button in the user menu, to see the source of this documentation, which is written in Markdown.
The pages follow the Wiki philosophy, such by default everyone can see a page and all senior staff personnel can edit and create pages. However, unlike the Wiki, any page owner can decide to block certain pages from view of others. Or to block the page from editing by others. The access control is very modular, and can be given either on a position basis
Research student, etc, or to certain people. To use this mechanism click the
Use permissions check-mark in the page addition form.
Edit a page
The list of all pages can be accesses from the
user menu. To edit a page, go to the list of pages and click on icon next to the event, alternatively browse to the page of interest and click the PAGE button in the user menu.
Each page edition creates a new revision. Revisions cannot be deleted, but can be restored. To view previous version of the page, browse to the page of interest and click the HISTORY button in the user menu. You will see the list of revisions. Choose the relevant revision and edit it to your liking, on hitting the
Save button it will override the most recent revision.
Announcement as their name suggest are their to announce and important event or achievement of the department and its members, which is advertised in the main page. It has a standard form of a picture, and a one paragraph body, supplemented by a link where additional information could be found. Only the body of the announcement is mandatory. Any senior staff member can post and edit an announcement. Announcements cannot be deleted, but they can be deactivated. All announcements expire after automatically after one year.
To see all the announcements you can click the
ANNOUNCEMENTS button at the user menu, which presents the list of announcements, by whom they were created and edited last. It also shows if the announcement is active or not.
To add an announcement you can either use the ANNOUCEMENT button in the user menu, or the same button at the bottom of announcements column on the main page, or by clicking the icon in the list of announcements.
To edit an announcement go to list of announcements first and click on icon next to the relevant announcement.
Research highlights and slides
Slides are short, one paragraph and one image advertisement of your research. Only faculty members can create them, and they are presented on the webpage of the relevant research group, or/and on the big screen hanging above the staircase of the department. Each researcher, which is affiliated to a given group can compose as much research highlights as he/she wants, however only one research highlight will be chosen (at random) to be presented on the big screen, and two highlights on the group page.
Highlights are free format research topics, which are meant to be somehow longer. You can style them as you wish, and include as many images as you want. Their list is presented in research group pages, and on each person profiles.
To see all the research highlights or all the slides you can click the
HIGHLIGHTS/SLIDES buttons at the user menu, which presents the list of research highlights, by whom they were created and whether the owner chose to display them on the group page and the big screen.
To add a highlight/slide you can either use the HIGHLIGHT/SLIDE button in the user menu, or the same button at the top of the list of research highlights.
To edit a research highlight/slide go to list of research highlights first and click on icon next to the relevant highlight. You can only edit the highlights, that you created. You can also find and edit your research highlights from your user profile. You can also enable and disable the highlights/slides from there.
Updated on Nov. 7, 2020
Updated by Bar Lev, Yevgeny (ybarlev)
Created on Feb. 22, 2019
Created by Bar Lev, Yevgeny (ybarlev)