MANY BODY METHODS IN CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS
Lecturer: Yigal Meir
Spring semester, 2013/14. Hours: Wednesdays, 15:10-18:00.
- Many-body theory - principles and methodology
- Overview of methods of many-body condensed matter physics.
- Effective Hamiltonians - Spin Chains
- The Hartree Fock Approximation and the Ground-state energy of an
interacting electron gas -
- Density functional theory
- Formulation of perturbation theory - Green functions and their
relation to physical observables
- Ground-state energy of an interacting electron gas -
beyond the Hartree-Fock approximation
- Response of an interacting electron gas to an external field
- The concept of quasi-particles and Fermi-liquid theory
- Fermi-liquid and the renormalization group.
- Non-Fermi-Liquid behavior - an interacting electron gas in one
dimension. The bosonization approach to a Luttinger liquid.
- Methods and concepts of many-body condensed matter physics -
Spring semester, 2012-2013. Hours: Wednesdays, 17:10-21:00.
- Matsubara Green functions
- Keldysh Green Functions
- The Kondo problem:
The Kondo model and perturbation theory
Anderson's poor man scaling
Nosieres'Fermi liquid description and the two-channel model
The Anderson model and the Schrieffer-Wolf transformation
Perturbation theory for the Anderson model
Slave boson mean-field theory
- Green's Function in Solid
State Physics, Doniach & Sondheimer
- Many-Particle Physics,
Theory, Gross, Runge and Heinonen
Liquids, Pines and Nosieres
- Condensed Matter Field Theory,
Altland and Simons
- Many Body Quantum Theory in
Condensed Matter Physics, Bruus and Flensberg
- Quantum Theory of the Electron
Liquid. Giuliani and Vignale